10 steps to deal with a broken heart
There is nothing more gut-wrenching, soul-destroying or shredding-your-heart-into-a-million-pieces than when someone you love rejects you.
When you share the news with your friends, you get the normal clichés; time will heal all, there are other fish in the sea, he’s obviously not the one for you. Blah … blah … blah.
None of these work when your body feels like lead, you have forgotten how to breathe and everything reminds you of him.
The rest of the world carries on around you and all you want to do is hide under your duvet – forever.
But, the children need to be fed, homework has to be done, dinner cooked, washing and ironing done … and the list goes on. As does life.
So here are my coping mechanisms. I cannot promise that they will work for you but they might allow you to forget for a while.
1) Spring clean your house
2) Finish a project that you started ten years ago
3) Take up that hobby that you always wanted to do but never got around to it.
4) Learn a new skill or become an expert in a field that interests you
5) Spend lots of time with your girlfriends and do girly things
6) Join a club or an organisation with interests similar to your own and actually go to the functions
7) Go bungee-jumping, do a fire-walk or something equally scary that will certainly take your mind off him.
8) Redecorate your house
9) Remind yourself that you are worthy of love, even though you may not feel it right now
10) Go on a date – with someone else
I hope that this may help some of you. If you have any other ideas how to cope with a broken heart I would love to hear them.